Monday, September 12, 2011

100 Days of Disney Animation

As of Tangled there are 50 Walt Disney Animation Feature Films (not counting the new Winnie the Pooh movie in theaters). In the next 100 days, I’m going to watch all 50 films and write about my fresh observations of these films. I will not stick to any particular media, DVD, Blu-Ray, LaserDisc (I still have Alaiddin on LaserDisc), VHS, whatever I’ll watch what I can get. There will be some saying you should do it in 50 days, but with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up, plus a trip to WDW in Oct, I’ll need a little extra time, and 50 films in 100 days sounds better that 50 films in 67 days. Now why would I want to do this?

I love Disney Animation! Well I love almost everything Disney, but animation is at the top of the list. Movies have always been a big part of my life. Some of my earliest happy memories with my family circulate around movies. I was a child of the 80’s and 90’s. I remember my family getting a VCR, it was a betamax (kids, look it up). It was a big deal on our block to have one. Ever since them my family has always gathered around the TV to watch movies, and we always stayed on the cutting edge of technology, VHS, LaserDisc, DVD, Blu-Ray, we’ve had it all.

The first movie I ever remember watching in a theater was in Rochester, New York, and it was Fantasia, probably during its 1985 re-release. I’m sure there were movies before that, but Fantasia just stood out in my mind. It was the standard that all animated movies had to follow and my love of Disney was born. After that almost every major life event rotated around Disney. One of the first dates I went on with my wife was a Disney Movie. We had a Beauty and the Beast Wedding invitation and our Honeymoon was at Walt Disney World.

Through it all, if a Disney movie came out, I saw it, and most likely had the soundtrack. In June of 1996 I bought a The Hunchback of Notre Dame preview pass, the one that came with the free lithograph. I was working 3rd shift but I went to the movie after work in the morning and I loved it. Recently though I’ve been slacking off. There are actually a couple of Disney films from the early 2000’s that I have not seen. After watching Lilo and Stitch over the weekend I was amazed at how good the movie was. I always liked it, but I kind of forgot about it. I decided to look at all of the films again to see what I was missing.

No comments:

Post a Comment